Friday, September 12, 2008

Where were you?

I got this from Jenny's blog and thought it was a good idea also. Where were you on September 11, 2001?

I was a freshman at University of the Ozarks in Clarksville, AR. I was still asleep because I didn't have class until 9:30 and my mom called. I was a little perturbed because I knew I still had about 30 mins before I had to get up. She told me to turn on the tv and I couldnt believe what I saw. As I was watching and on the phone with her, the first tower fell. It looked like a camera had just fallen over backward because the building just slowly disappeared from the tv. Mom told me she loved me and we would just have to wait and see what happens next because they still werent sure what was going on. The classes were cancelled and we had a dorm meeting where they gave us instruction to stay at school and don't go home. My roommate was from Rison and both of us couldn't have gone home if we wanted since we live within the "circle" of the arsenal and the nuclear plant at Russellville was under watch also so we were kind of stuck there anyway. So we just stayed glued to the tv in total disbelief and hoped that the worst was over. I remember later a group of us went to lunch and we were sitting outside. It was a beautiful day and I realized that I had forgotten for awhile what had happened that morning and at that very moment, there was still panic and many people injured, dead, and searching for their loved ones. The tragedy was only just beginning. I know I am so guilty of not remembering the people involved in things that are not right in front of me. The war, 9/11, and other conflicts I take for granted that we are not having to deal with on a daily basis.

No comments: